Better BirdLIFE is focused on coastal birds in the West Baltic Sea.
The main objectives of the project, Better BirdLIFE, are to:
- improve natural habitats for 10 bird species listed in Annex 1 of Directive 2009/147/EC and 4 species of regularly occurring migratory bird species.
- improve conservation status for the 14 bird species targeted.
- contribute to obtain favourable conservation status for 10 natural habitat types listed in Annex 1 of Directive 92/43/EEC.
- counteract 8 identified threats toward the 14 bird species and 10 natural habitat types.
The project comprises 10 different partners and is hosted at the Municipality of Middelfart.
- The Municipality of Middelfart (coordinating beneficiary)
- The Danish Bird Protection Foundation
- The Danish Coastal Authority
- The Danish Nature Agency
- The Municipality of Kerteminde
- The Municipality of Kolding
- The Municipality of Nordfyn
- The Municipality of Sønderborg
- Stiftung Naturschutz Schleswig-Holstein
- The University of Southern Denmark
Better BirdLIFE started in September 2018 and is planned to end in October 2025. The overall budget for the project is 8,4 million Euro.
The project is funded by the LIFE Programme, by the 10 project partners and by the three private, Danish foundations 15. Juni Fonden, AP Møller Fonden and Aage V. Jensen Naturfond.
The LIFE Programme is the financial instrument of the European Commission supporting environmental, nature conservation and climate action projects throughout EU.